Monday, July 31, 2006

Is God your Pilot.....or......Co-pilot???


My wife and I were driving down Sprinkle Rd. yesterday when we came across this bumper sticker. “If God is your co-pilot………..Switch seats. Ever since yesterday I have been pondering that thought, so I thought I would add it to my blog today.

I’ve heard about books being entitled “God is My Copilot” as well as films, articles, and sermons. I still like the sentiment. I’m glad people are open to sharing their faith about not trying to live without the presence of God in their lives. I feel a connection to those people. I’ve even been blessed by the content of these messages.

I’ve learned, however, that the slogan doesn’t go quite far enough, at least not for me.

Please don’t get me wrong; I’m not criticizing the faith of those who have used this motto. Neither am I trying to “one up” these folks in spirituality or piety game. Nor am I trying to play a little semantic game. Instead, I think I’ve learned the hard way that God can’t be in the copilot seat of my life. He’s got to be the main and only pilot, or I’m pretty much headed for disaster. I’ve learned that if the LORD is not in complete control, then I generally “goober up” a lot of things in my life.

What’s the big difference? Isn’t this just wrangling about words?

Nope! The difference is huge. It means everything. When God is the pilot, I recognize that life lived the right way is led by the Spirit of God. I think of the song that says “My Life Is Yours To Control.”


My life, Lord, is Yours to contol;

I give you my heart and my soul.

I’ll seek Your will never mine,

Rich treasure to find.

Give wisdom to choices I make.

Along every path that I take,

So when I complete life’s race

“Well done,” you will say.

Does this mean that I don’t “goober up” some days? No, I can still mess things up pretty badly. Sometimes, I even have the “help” of others who try to mess things up for me. Although I then need to realize that God has a lesson for me to learn during the times that I “goober up”


Here’s my four point flight plan:

1. Each day, I specifically acknowledge that I need to have God lead my life through his Word and his Spirit, otherwise I will make a mess of things. (Romans 8)

2. Each day, I intentionally rejoice, knowing that the Creator of the universe is involved in my life, working things to conform them to his will. (Philippians 2:12-13)

3. Each day, I purposely reassure my heart with the promise that I am not alone in trying to live my life and in trying to do what is right. (Hebrews 13:5-6)

4. Each day, I consciously trust that even when I’ve messed things up, God is going to step back in and work things toward his eternal purpose for my life. (Romans 8:28-30)

So rather than sticking God in the copilot’s seat, let’s let him fly the plane! Won’t you join me in making an intentional commitment to ask that God take control of your life... and let’s make that decision every day, as we start the day! I believe we will find this is better than good... it is THE BEST! ! !

No comments: