Sunday, October 08, 2006

God's Loan


"I'll lend to you for a little time,
A child of mine," He said,
"For you to love the while he lives
And mourn for when he's dead.

"It may be six or seven years
Or fifteen plus three,
But will you till I call him back,
Take care of him for me?

"He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have these precious memories
As solace for your grief.

"I cannot promise he will stay
Since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn.

"I've looked this world over,
In my search for teachers true.
In the crowds that throng life's land,
I have selected you.

"Now will you give him all your love
Not think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call
To take him back again?"

It seems to me I heard them say,
"Dear Lord, thy will be done.
For all the joys a child shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run.

"We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.

"And should the angels call for him
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand."

Mark 10:14 ......... Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so often we forget they are just on loan to us. I am not sure where you come up with all of your topic's from, but as always, you have opened my eye's again. Children (and Grandchildren and nephews and neices) are truly a special gift from God. Thanks for sharing. I love you all, Long time.

Anonymous said...

I think that sometimes I get busy in my day and I can take Bryce for granted. It is not easy to remember that he is on loan. Brain and I are trying really hard to raise Bryce to love God and live for him.