Sunday, April 29, 2007

Letter from Dr. Chuck Phelps


Here is an initial letter to the Faculty/Staff at Maranatha by Dr Phelps:

Dear Friends:

Times of transition are times of trauma. All of us should be encouraged by the kindness of the Lord displayed in John 14. Knowing that their “hearts were troubled,” he bequeathed peace to them. He did not remove the transition or the trouble that it would bring, but He gave them the wonderful gift of His unfailing peace to guide them through a perplexing time.

Having met with Maranatha’s Board and Administrative Cabinet and having spoken to men and women who have dedicated their lives to the work of the Lord at Maranatha, I have become convinced that the Lord has been ministering peace to the students, staff and constituents of Maranatha through you, His servants. You are to be commended for your dedication, commitment to the work of the Lord and professionalism during what has, no doubt, been a time of confusing transition.

Over the past several weeks, I have had the privilege of communicating openly and often with Dr. Oats. While I realize that it may be his responsibility to read this to you today, and I recognize the humility with which he conducts himself as your servant may cause him some discomfort in relaying the next few lines, allow me to say that I would be remiss if I did not state openly my admiration and appreciation for the good work that the Lord has accomplished through him this year. I am confident that you will join me in thanking the Lord for the stability, competence, character and convictions that Dr. Oats models before you, the student body and those who love and care about the College.

Very soon an official announcement will be made that I will be coming to serve with you as the president of Maranatha Baptist Bible College. I will be introduced to you and the students on Tuesday, May 1, at chapel. Our time then will be quite limited, but I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible and laboring among you soon.

Some of you will be asking why I would leave a fruitful pastoral ministry to join you in Watertown. We are coming because we identify with the heritage of Maranatha Baptist Bible College. As a fundamental, dispensational, Baptist who appreciates the value of passionate ministry presented in a balanced, conservative way, I know I will be at home at Maranatha. As a pastor and a dad, I am well aware of the importance a Bible College Education plays in molding leadership for local church ministry. The Lord has convinced me that Maranatha is uniquely positioned to accomplish a great work in these last days. While leaving pastoral ministry will be traumatic for me and my family, I am convinced of the need to be a II Timothy 2:2 servant and to commit the truths of God’s Word to another generation of Christian servants. I do not want to coast in Ministry.

I want to be fully used and fully yielded to God’s work in and through my life. Maranatha Baptist Bible College will be a stretching place for me and, while it has been a difficult decision to accept the invitation of the board, through prayer, counsel, and the ministry of God’s Word, I have become convinced that it is the place for me. Please pray for me and for my family as we sever deep ties with our dear flock here in New England and seek wisdom for the work of God with you there.

Please know that my prayers are with you as you finish this School year. I trust you will join me in expressing your appreciation to the Board of Trustees and the Administrative Cabinet for the way they have labored to bring God’s blessing and best to a place they obviously love. God has assembled an impressive group of people to guide Maranatha, and I am humbled to associate with them and with you.

In His Service,
Charles R. Phelps

No comments: