Monday, March 19, 2007

Amaker dismissed after six seasons as Michigan coach

Michigan's Mens Basketball Coach Tommy Amaker has been shown the door this past Saturday March 17th. I personally feel bad to see Tommy Amaker go because, he did alot to come in and clean up the mess with the Michigan Basketball Program and I personally feel he deserved another year. Best of Wishes to you Tommy and I hope you move on to another School and have great success.

Well now the hunt is on for a new coach. Hopefully Michigan will be smart and find someone who is well known and has the potential to bring in good recruits. I also hope they will bring someone that feels academic is important and runs a clean cut program. My personal opinion and I have heard rumor buzzing around that Coach Bob Knight could be a possible Candidate. I have heard Coach Knight state he wants back in the BIG TEN. I know many people don't care for Coach Knight and think he is reckless and runs a violent program. That maybe the case but, Coach Knight knows how to win and he has the highest percentage when it comes to graduating his basketball players to any other school.

Tommy Amaker Coaching Career

Season School Overall Conf. Postseason Postseason Round
2006-07 Michigan (Head Coach) 22-13 8-8 Postseason NIT Second Round
2005-06 Michigan (Head Coach) 22-11 8-8 Postseason NIT NIT Finalist
2004-05 Michigan (Head Coach) 13-18 4-12

2003-04 Michigan (Head Coach) 23-11 8-8 Postseason NIT NIT Champions
2002-03 Michigan (Head Coach) 18-12 10-6 ineligible for posteason
2001-02 Michigan (Head Coach) 11-18 5-11

Record 109-83 43-53

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very sad to see this coach go. Last fall (I think) we were able to meet the coach. I heard some highschool boys telling him that they were going to UofM to play on his BB team. The coach told them that they had to keep their grades up first. I thought that was very good advice. So many people want to put sports ahead of grades and there is where we have gone wrong.

ps. I am still beating Brian with the BB bracket. LOL