Sunday, March 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandpa Veld

Well today is Grandpa Veld's Birthday and I thought I would think of some things that he enjoyed doing in remembrance of him. Well first of all Grandpa was a Godly Man he was faithful in his attendance to church which is why you see the picture of Immanuel Fellowship Church before they remodeled it. I really enjoyed going to church with Grandpa and Grandma because, they were always so enthusiastic about showing off their family. They always had somebody for you to meet. Grandpa also read his Bible often and I remember sitting at the kitchen table and listening to him read from various passages or we would sit and listen to gospel music on the radio.

Grandpa also loved his farming days. His Barn with the Cows and few pigs that he tended too along with the chickens. I remember running out to the barn and watching Grandpa sit on the ole stool and milk the cows and feed the pigs. He used to run that Ford Tractor all over the Farm Yard and out in the field while he was bailing hay. And we surely can't forget the garden. You know the one that grew Macaroni (inside joke) Grandpa loved tending to his garden with all his vegetables. He was so focused on those potato's each and every year.

Then again Grandpa was a man after my own heart because, he loved to eat. I remember spending the night with him and Grandma and we would eat out at Russ' or Cooper's Cafe' , oh and we can't forget one of their favorites Bill Knapp's. I remember going out to eat with them and every time we went to Russ' I would ask Grandpa if I could order the Slim Jim sandwich and he would respond "Porky" you can order what ever you want as long as you eat it all.

Looking back these are just a few of the many memories I had with Grandpa. Although I have to say one memory I will never forget is sitting out front at the house on his swing. Grandma had already passed away and Grandpa and I just sat there. We never really said much while sitting there but, I know that there was alot going through our minds. Oh how we missed Grandma and her being gone left an emptiness inside us that never can really be explained. Just sitting their with breeze beating us in the face on a cool crisp morning. Nothing had to be said yet, I know we knew what each other was thinking...... I LOVE YOU GRANDPA AND I NEVER WILL FORGET YOU ! !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Boy,
What another beautiful tribute to Grandpa, he would say you were right about everything you wrote.
He loved his Church, his family his farm, and eating. You nailed it all. I think you may of missed one of your callings, you could also be a dedicated writer. You always bring tears to my eyes.
I love you Dad, you are so missed every day. Thanks baby boy, as always you did an awesome job.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
What a great memorial for dad.
You do make us proud in the ways
that you make your tributes to both
mom and dad. Thanks, I love You