Monday, March 12, 2007

(N)ot (I)mportant (T)ournament


Before the season Michigan men's basketball coach Tommy Amaker said the next step for the program was the NCAA Tournament. Instead, the Wolverines will play in the National Invitation Tournament or as I heard some one call it earlier today the NOT IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT. They will be playing in the tournament for the 3rd time in the last 4 years.

The Wolverines are the No. 3 seed in the North Bracket of the 32 team tournament. If Michigan (21-12) can win over their first round match-up against Utah State then they will play the winner of the game between Florida State and the Mid-American Conference's Toledo on Thursday.

So how far out of the NCAA Tournament picture was Michigan? Let's just say it wasn't even close. There were alot of good teams that should have made the NCAA Tournament this year but, they can only pick 65 teams. I heard today on ESPN the coach for Tennessee Volunteers suggest increasing the Tournament from 65 team bracket to an 80 team bracket. I am not so sure I really am fond of that idea. Well it is March Madness Basketball and I have to go fill out my bracket. And even though the NIT is not very important tournament I will be following my Wolverines very closely.

No comments: